Tuesday, May 17, 2011

GIS: Project and Thoughts

Special thanks to the wonderful Dr. Jennifer Shafer who taught me GIS.

Project: GIS (Geographic Information System) is a new way to effectively analyize spatial data. During January 2011 we used GIS to map part of the coast of Sarasota Bay. We looked specifically for types of shorelines, docks and jetties, and outflows that might inhibit restoration along the shore line. We then made maps to present our analysis of the data we collected. Unfortunately, I cannot upload TIFF files or PDFs to my blog so I cannot show off my fabulous maps.

Thoughts: GIS is literally applicable to everything as long as sufficient data is gathered and digitized properly. It is an invaluable tool that I would like to see used more often and encouraged at New College. However, I should point out that ArcGIS is one of the most complicated interfaces I've ever worked with. I do not think I have ever worked with a less intiutive program. It is impossible for GIS to become a less complicated kind of program, however if one needs a degree in GIS to fully understand everything that it is capable of then the software is not useful to most people in the world. I believe that GIS is applicable to every field, however until its design is simplified it will not take off as useful for most people. Though it is worth noting that despite its complexity some people, like myself, use it anyways.

GIS is proving to be particularly helpful in the environmental field. One project in particular, the Natura 2000 project aims "to raising awareness of Natura 2000 the Europe-wide network of sites tasked with the preservation of your natural heritage." Below is the site for further information.

Natura 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment