Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Microbial Communities on a Salt Concentration Gradient 9C

I completed this lab with the help of the lovely Krystaal. Below you can see our data table.

1. Our experiment compares with Whitaker's study of trees in the Great Smokey Mountains because we both measured at regular intervals along a gradient.

2. Clements would predict no overlap between gradients. Gleason would predict overlap.

3. The model that best represents our data is the Gleason model because the same species was found in different infusions.

4. I definitely expect different results, but not drastically different results. The spring water used would still have salt in it from being salty in the first place.

5. I did not sniff the samples, though by the end many of them looked the same. Some samples because more mucus-like in consistency with what I can only describe as "goop" growing in them. I would expect different types of bacteria to grow in different salt concentrations. I know this from personal experience since I lent Krystaal salt to make salt water to clean her new piercings.

No comments:

Post a Comment